Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day 355...My Crazy Relatives


MY CRAZY RELATIVES

My dad comes from a large family.  He had eight brothers and sisters (originally none but one passed at age 13).  Since I was a young girl, I remember vividly the Christmas Eve gatherings and Grandma Guertrude's.  There were cousins everywhere.  I have two other cousins born in the same year I was.  We went to the same high school.  And a year older, year younger, a few years older and younger, we had many.  And we stuffed the families into Grandma's tiny little house.  There was always a beautiful tree in the front room, and we even had Santa Claus come.  

As the years passed, Grandma ended up moving out of her house into a little condo for the elderly.  She lived independently until her passing in 2001.  But when she moved, she lived in a little one-bedroom place and the party got moved to my Uncle Mark's house (pictured above).  I always wondered what it would be like after my grandma passed away, if we would all still who up every year and keep the tradition going.  I can honestly say, it is one of the longest lasting traditions of my life, and I look forward to it.  It is the one time every year I see some of the people I would otherwise not see.

So now that I've paid more attention to my photography, I have it in my mind a little more each year to concentrate on getting some good family shots of everyone while they're still gathered.  The family shot above is my Uncle Mark and his wife and his (and her) kids.  I could write a whole long page of their interesting and amazing family!  But today, it's just about the photo and what an ecclectic, beautiful, and fun bunch of people they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment