Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day 199...My Peaceful Place



MY PEACEFUL PLACE

Do you have a peaceful place?  You know, somewhere you go to be alone in your thoughts and sort things out?  For me, the favorite Peaceful Place is the beach.  And being from Minnesota, you would think that in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, that I would easily be able to escape to a "beach" and find my peace.  But I don't mean a beach at a lake!  Ha ha.  I am madly in love with the beach near the ocean or the sea.  

But since I'm land bound, it's not always possible for me to go to that place for a peaceful respit when I need to unwind, debrief, or just reboot the brain.  I'm sure most folks have more than one place to seek their peace time.  I do as well.  When I'm at work, and I need to escape from things, this is my place.  It is a little garden area next to the Assumption Church in St. Paul.  I love that it has a quiet little set of benches for me to sit on, and it's tucked away enough that I feel I can cry sometimes if I need to without people staring at me.  In the summer, it's surrounded with neatly groomed trees and plants, and in the winter, it has a very stark peace to it and the church grounds tend to be decorated for the Christmas season.

In the past year, I've spent a lot of time in this spot escaping some of the anxiety I experienced through my dad's terminal illness and his resulting passing, the revamping of my rental house, and the massive pile of work I had after my dad died.  I've cried here.  I've rested quietly.  I've taken pictures of things in the garden and birds and the surrounding grounds.  I'm sure in the future, I will spend time there being happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment