Saturday, January 11, 2014

Day 11...Light Writing


LIGHT WRITING

You would think that with the weekend would come time, time to get outside in the light of day and find something to photograph.  But today, it just wasn't in the cards for me.  On my way home from driving my daughter to soccer this evening, I contemplated how the whole day went by without me taking my photo of the day.

I had been near downtown Minneapolis this evening where the nighttime skyline looked amazing, and I certainly had enought time to pass to get out there and shoot.  However, in the haste of leaving for our dinner date tonight, I didn't think to bring my camera.  So I stared at that gorgeous skyline thinking of a missed opportunity.

But as I drove through the neighborhood on the way home, I saw the few leftover holidays lights the neighbors still had burning, and wondered to myself if I could pull off one last photo using holiday lights without it appearing holiday themed.

This is what I came up with....light writing.

I've seen it done before, of course much more elaborately and well done.  It took me a few shots to get the aperature, shutter speed, white balance, and the speed in which I drew with my light source all coordinated, but I think it turned out pretty fun.  I want to try again with possibly helpers and a tripod and better light sources, but that likely won't be until it's much warmer outside.

Hope you like it.  I know it's out of the ordinary course of landscapes, etc.  But that's what this project is about for me...experimenting, trying to push my limits.
www.photosfeaturingyou.com

No comments:

Post a Comment