Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 1 ... Start a photo project? Sure. Why not?


Start a photo project?  Sure.  Why not?

I've wanted to do it for a long time.  I contemplated...should I do a 365, 52?  I decided since I love photography so much, what the heck, go for the 365.  I wanted to do a theme.  And realistically since portraiture is something I'd really like to focus more time on, I thought that would be the perfect theme.  But I feel like it would be too hard to do a different portrait every day of the year mostly because who would I take portraits of EVERY DAY?  I guessed there would just be many self portraits, and I seem to have plenty of those.  There would also be many portraits of my daughter, and she's already totally annoyed with the amount I photograph her.

So I made my project a theme, but general enough that I could keep it interesting with a different photo every day.  So here we go.  The theme I chose is OUTSIDE.  I didn't want to do just nature or just cityscape or something so constraining.  I figure I will be forced to go outside no matter the weather or the location.  I'll be able to get super creative this way.

I'm very excited!

Now, admittedly, I'm starting my very first day by cheating slightly.  This is going to be the only day I actually cheat if I can help it.  But I waited until kind of late in the day before I made my decision to do this, and it's dark outside.  I do have every intention to push myself and include night shots.  However, I currently don't have a tripod, and I took some shots the other day that I thought would be a great first start.

So DAY 1 I took two days ago.  It was about 10 degrees below zero that day.  I wanted to do some outdoor shots while I was bumming around Minneapolis.  So I ventured out to the Stone Arch Bridge.  The river was gorgeous because in the surrounding parts of the river, the water was frozen, but because of the moving water, the falls were still flowing.  Also because of the extreme cold, the water was steaming.  I popped off a few shots real quick, and my fingers were frozen within seconds.  It was dangerously cold.  I couldn't stay out there any longer, so this is the best shot I got.

Cheers to a wonderfully creative photographic 2014.

www.photosfeaturingyou.com

1 comment:

  1. I wish you luck and success in your photographic journey this year and look forward to what you capture! Jim Ericson

    ReplyDelete